- Inflammation due to repetitive stress of the broad proximal portion of any of the musculotendinous units originating from the tibia.
- Symptoms of overuse injury are precipitated by initiation of training, an increase in training intensity or a change in surface or equipment. The mechanism for overuse injury is overload of forces on the muscle, tendon, or bone, which leads to an inflammatory reaction.
Shin Splints : Initial Diagnosis and Management
- History and physical examination for shin splints.
- Rest of the affected muscle-tendon bone unit
- Use of crutches, bracing or casts as needed
- NSAIDs may be beneficial
- Adults – 200 to 400 milligrams (mg) every four to six hours as needed for up to 2 weeks. Example: Ibuprofen
- Take tablet or capsule forms of these medicines with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.
- Do not lie down for about 15 to 30 minutes after taking the medicine. This helps to prevent irritation that may lead to trouble in swallowing.
- To lessen stomach upset, these medicines should be taken with food or an antacid for shin splints.
- Encourage active range of motion.
- Appropriate restrictions of activity.
Shin Splints : Ongoing Management and Objectives
- Rest is individualized depending upon severity for shin splints
- Immobilization should be utilized if simple weight bearing (walking) is painful.
- The duration of rest varies from 1-2 days for mild shin splints to several months for severe stress fractures.
- Ice for 10 to 15 mins with hourly reapplication.
- Elevate leg frequently with compressive wraps.
- Slow and sustained active stretches when no pain is present
Shin Splints : Indication a profile is needed
- Any limitations that affect strength, range of movement, and efficiency of feet, legs, lower back and pelvic girdle.
- Slightly limited mobility of joints, muscular weakness, or other musculo-skeletal defects that may prevent moderate marching, climbing, timed walking, or prolonged effect.
- Defects or impairments that require significant restriction of use to shin splints.
Shin Splints : Specifications for the profile
- Weeks 1-8
- No running and jumping
- No rucking
- Walking to tolerance
- Swimming recommended